You are hereForums /

grantd's picture

Lake Canobolas MTB Park - Build day #1

Sunday 23rd February is the first track build day for our new site. Come and give us a hand! We'll have a start time confirmed soon, possibly 9am. Note the safety clothing requirements.

Details here.

grantd's picture

Upcoming Events

Here's some stuff:

• The 2014 Ginja Ninja 250 is coming up very shortly (Sun Feb 16th at Kinross).
    • We are hoping to have a track build day at the new Lake Canobolas Mountain Bike Park some time in late February. There's a few things to sort out before we can go ahead with this so it's not definite yet.
    • A club 2 hour XC race at Kinross on Sunday March 16th.
    • We also need someone to do the raffle on February 12th. It's fun and is an excuse to go to the pub and meet people. Let us know if you're keen, these raffles really help our club run events and create facilities.
    • Nearby club's events:
      • Lithgow's CTMBC have their Autumn 3hr in March and an interesting sounding 'fiddy k' race in May.
      • Dubbo MTB have a race at Geurie on 2nd February (but it's probably too late to get there if you didn't know). They have a facebook page.
grantd's picture

Single Track Mind Feedback to the club

I know it's been a few months since we hosted the STM at Kinross, but I wanted to share this message we got from Chocolate Foot shortly after the race.

"Joe and I want to say a massive thanks to CWORBC for your role as hosting club for last Sunday’s Singletrack Mind Series event. Thank you for making it happen in such fine style and for being so great to work with, and providing so much help with services, drinking water, maps, course marking, parking, marshalling, and throughout the day Sunday – we really appreciate it. You guys are superb to work with! Also, we heard only positive feedback from riders about the course – which doesn’t surprise us as it is totally AWESOME – sounds like the changes from last year were really appreciated! Hopefully this will mean good things for the Ginja Ninja too!"

grantd's picture

CWORBC - club meeting

We are having a meeting this Wednesday 13th at 7:30pm. Come and have a say. See here for more details.

We are also having a Kinross Forest clean up this Sunday from 10am in preparation for the Single Track Mind race the following week.

grantd's picture

club stuff

Check out the events coming up below, keep up to date in the calendar. Note that if you create an account on the website you can receive email notifications for new calendar and forum entries.

See you all at the 2 hour THIS SUNDAY (27th Oct)!

Upcoming Club Events:

We had a great 'mini gravity enduro' event at the end of September, we're keen to run another one, possibly in January. If you're wondering what a mini-gravity enduro is then look at the September details here.

Last summer we ran Thursday arvo races when I committed to running them once a week which I can't do this summer. If there's enough interest for someone else to help run them then perhaps we can get them going again? I could commit to every 3rd Thursday. Also perhaps let us know if you are keen to attend but can't run them to help gauge interest.

MTB Trail opposite lake Canobolas: Just an update on progress. Earlier this year Orange council approved the use of the site for a MTB trail. At this stage we are working through the DA process (lodged with Cabonne council). Things are still progressing, exciting times ahead!

If anyone's keen to run some social rides in this beautiful weather we've been having lately then add it to the calendar (or let me know and I will). Perhaps if you know a good place to ride that you want to show off to other club members then this is your chance.

Helpers needed for club raffles on Wednesday nights at Hotel Canobolas. Let us know if you can be allocated to do the raffle on these dates (as per the calendar):
18th December
22nd January
12th February

Nearby clubs events:

grantd's picture

Kinross - MTB Orienteering - Cancelled

Sorry for the late notice - we've decided to cancel tomorrow's orienteering event. We've only had a couple of people indicating they are coming tomorrow. We are keen to use our plans to run it another time and perhaps promote it a bit better.

There is also the first XC race on Bathurst's new track tomorrow which is taking some people from Orange (and I assume Bathurst).

A couple of us will be at Kinross Forest at 9:45 for a ride anyway in case you're keen to still get a ride in.

Remember the Back Yamma Bigfoot on the 25th August and the 'Mini Gravity XC Enduro' on the 22nd September. Check the calendar for details.

grantd's picture

Dirty Duathlon Results

Results are up here:
http://www.racetecresults.com/startpage.aspx?Cid...

Thanks to Steve for timing, Rod for BBQ help (I think there were others who helped him), Al for helping mark the track out and Phil for setting up the transition stuff. And the everyone else who helped out.

As Steve said on the Tri website we had about 30 contenders. It was a bit muddy and slippery in spots but I think all of us got back in one piece. We'll have to do it again sometime.

grantd's picture

Upcoming Events

We just wanted to highlight a few events coming up in the calendar. Note that if you create an account on the website you can receive email notifications for new calendar and forum entries.

Nearby clubs events.

grantd's picture

Lake Canobolas - Possible MTB Site

Many of you would have heard already of the progress of some CWORBC members that have been busy bandicoots developing the idea for a new MTB facility near Lake Canobolas on the Earth Sanctuary site. We think that the site's planned current and future use would fit well with a MTB facility.

The site is across the road from the main Lake Canobolas entrance and surrounds the scout camp. The CWORBC have submitted a proposal to Orange City Council (OCC) and will be discussed at the OCC meeting tonight.

There's been a bit in the paper today about it here:
http://www.centralwesterndaily.com.au/story/1514...

Check out some more info in the media release in the link below (or here).

We'll keep you updated with any developments.

As we've discussed with many club members, if we get the go ahead we'll be needing to pull together to get some trails built.

grantd's picture

AGM

Below is a preview, click to read the full post

Come along to the MTB AGM (Annual General Meeting) and have a say in how your club is run.

Next Monday 15th April
6:30pm
Canobolas Hotel - in the "board room" (out the back, past the family and kids play area, half way down the corridor towards the back car park, on the left)

We'll be talking about some exciting things like:
- possibility for a new MTB facility
- club event calendar
- we'll have to vote in a club executive too

http://cworbc.org.au/node/41415

grantd's picture

Events - past and future

Club Races

Don't forget to come down Kinross Forest on Thursday afternoons for the club 45 minute XC races. The weather is only going to get colder so get some riding in while it's relatively easy!

Sign on from 6:15, racing starts at 6:30.

Check the calendar for details.

Australian Champs

One and a half weeks ago (20th-24th Feb) the Australian MTB Championships were held at Stromlo in Canberra.

Angus Tobin had a crack at the Elite XCO and XC eliminator events. The XCO event was on a very technically and physically challenging course which climbed up 'Cardiac Arrest'. If you ever want a challenge then go and attempt this track at Stromlo! up against Australia's best under 23's Angus completed the 5 laps in 1:34:35 in 23rd position. In the eliminator he qualified in 28th position but was knocked out on the first round with a lesson in how short and unforgiving of mistakes these races are.

Steve and Jake Coles both ended up with 3rd position in the Super Masters DH and Expert DH respectively. Steve's time was 3:25.46 and Jake steamed down the hill in 2:53.31. Apparently the course has become more 'downhilly' and less pedally over the last few years.

Well done all 3 and thanks for representing the club at the big event.

Australian Champs Website for more details

The Mont 24hr

The Mont 24hr is coming up soon. If anyone is going down then have a great weekend. Keep an eye out for the Dubbo jerseys as I think they have a large crew heading down to the race.
Mont 24hr website

grantd's picture

Thursday Night Race Reminder

Below is a preview, click to read the full post

Well the Ginja Ninja 250 has been and gone for another year. I hope you all enjoyed the race.

Our Thursday night races are still being held every week, check out the calendar for details. I realised quite late last week that the calendar hadn't been updated for the races beyond this week, apologies for that.

We'll keep the weekly races going at least until day light savings ends.

grantd's picture

Upcoming events

Kinross Forest rubbish clean up day

Just a reminder that we have a working bee on this Sunday at 9am to clean up the forest a bit. More details here in the calendar.

GN250 race loop Social ride next Thursday

Instead of the club race next Thursday there's a chance to check out the GN250 race loop. More details here in the calendar.

Race Results

I was a bit late getting the last two weeks race results up on the website. The results can be found under forum->CWORBC Event Results. Shortcut here.

Ginja Ninja 250

It's not long now till Feb 10th! Make sure you enter online before hand.
www.rocketon2wheels.com.au

Check out the video teaser of the race loop!

http://youtu.be/PrPKVcfyvdA.be

grantd's picture

Thursday Night Race Reminder

We had a great track maintenance day last Sunday. We must have had at least 25 people out working to make the trails better just for your enjoyment!

Make sure you come and try them out.

As a warm up to the GN250 (don't forget to enter), tomorrow's race loop will be a bit longer to include more of the GN250 race track. After climbing up part of 'TTT' it will include a 'Walk in the Park' and the whole 'North Shore' track. This will be about 3km long I think.

There'll still be a smaller loop option for those that are unsure of the longer option.

The format is as many laps as possible in 45mins.

See you there!

grantd's picture

Kinross Forest Closed - Thurs 17th to Fri 18th Jan - Extreme Fire Danger

The Thursday Arvo race is cancelled for tonight(17th Jan). Sorry for the late notice but better that then getting stuck in a bush fire Eye-wink

At the risk of sounding repetitive:

"Forestry Corporation of NSW is closing all State Forests in the Macquarie Region today and Friday 18th January. This closure will affect this evening’s Thursday arvo ride. "

See you all for the track maintenance this Sunday 20th 9am - assuming that the fire danger is reduced.

grantd's picture

Upcoming Events

Thursday Arvo Races

We've started up our Thursday afternoon races again for 2013!

Come out and put your new years resolution for "more MTBing" into effect.

Rego from 6:15pm, racing starts at 6:30pm. 45 min races.

More info in the calendar.

Ginja Ninja 250

It's not long now to the 2nd GN250 for 2013.

There's now a map of the proposed race loop on the website.

And make sure you enter soon if you haven't already!

rocketon2wheels.com.au/

Trail maintenance and clean up

The calendar shows two upcoming working bees to get the forest ready for the many ninjas arriving in a few weeks.

On the 20th Jan we have a trail working bee. This Sunday! Meet at the car park at 9, if your late then you should be able to find us on the trail.

On the 3rd Feb we'll be cleaning the rubbish that's been dumped out there.

Any help for these two days will be greatly appreciated.

Website issues

There's apparently a few issues with the website ISP which may make the site a bit sluggish. Beavers are working feverishly to rectify it. Apologies if you have any problems.

grantd's picture

Kinross Forest Closed - Fri 11th to Sun 13th Jan - Extreme Fire Danger

Gavin Jeffries posted on Ginja Ninja 250's timeline
http://www.facebook.com/rocketon2wheels.com.au

"MTBers and Prospective Ninja's,

I have had to again close all the State Forests in the central west to the public tomorrow and for the weekend (Friday 11 to Sunday 13 January 2013 inclusive), due to the dangerous fire weather predictions.

This includes single track areas at Kinross State Forest and Lidsdale State Forest (Rydal).

I apologise for the inconvenience. Would you please choose other non-state forest areas or some road rides this weekend in preparation for the Ginja Ninja in a few weeks time.

Thanks,

Gavin Jeffries
Forestry Corporation
(the old Forests NSW)"

grantd's picture

Kinross Forest Closed for the day - Tues 9th Jan - Extreme Fire Danger

We've been contacted by state forests NSW.

Due to the 'Extreme' fire rating for tomorrow Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 Kinross Forest is closed for the day.

I believe this is the same for all State Forests during 'Extreme' fire danger ratings.

It will be hot, dry and windy tomorrow. Hopefully no fires get ignited...

grantd's picture

Last Club Race for the year

Thursday Night Races

The last weekly race for the year is on tomorrow night (Thurs 13th Dec). We'll have a few soft rinks or (light) beers after the race to celebrate.

Details on the 45min race are here.

Ginja Ninja socks!

We have some brand spanking new club socks available! We are combining with the RocketOn2Wheels who are running the Ginja Ninja 250 event to spread the Ginja Ninja word. Rock on over to their website to grab a pair under 'merchandise' (along with the other goodies).

Ginja Ninja 250 - Entries Open!

While you're at the website make sure you check out what's in store for the race an enter online to secure your entry.

grantd's picture

Thomas Carroll Massive Effort at Jet Black 24 hour

Thanks to Matt Bayada for the great race report:

Thomas Carroll proves he is the Hardest Man in Orange Cycling.

In Tom’s first 24 hour race ever! He managed a spectacular 24 Laps! Putting him in the top 10 of solo entrants.

Temperatures reached up to a sweltering 42 Degrees on the Saturday and whilst other competitors were dropping like flies, babbling deliriously and running for cover from the scorching Sun, Tom just kept on circulating, representing that Ginga Ninja Jersey with pride.

The Mount Annan track was extremely difficult with many, many energy sapping pinch climbs, tight switchbacks and obstacles, and loads of good ol fashioned climbing which made finding any feeling of momentum almost impossible. Not only that but many of the obstacles required maximum focus with lapses in concentration being paid for by riders with blood and collar bones.

Tom worked like a Trojan all Saturday Afternoon and into the Night only briefly sleeping for 45 minutes in a sleeping bag....next to a Generator under a flood light. Then back on the bike.

While many competitors had, had enough by Sunday Morning Tom kept on punching out the laps, every time I spoke to him he still managed a jovial chat and his trademark laugh even after 23 hours on the bike.

Great effort by Tom showing outstanding perseverance , resilience and strength of character. I reckon Thomas Carroll is the toughest guy in Orange Cycling.

Thursday night races

Don't forget the Thursday night races at Kinross forest. Tomorrow's race details.

grantd's picture

Janet and Matt get results in 2012 STM series

Club members Janet Martin and Matt Cordery finished off a great year in the Single Track Mind series at Awaba last weekend. Battling the hot temperatures of the day, along with these two, were at least 8 members of CWORBC.

Janet rode to 2nd on the day in the Female Solo category and won the category in the series overall.

Matt rode to 1st on the day and for the 2012 series in the Clydesdale category.

Well done!

Check out the CWD article *here*

grantd's picture

Trail Maintenance Day

Help would be appreciated to keep the trails spic and span. This Sunday morning we're focussing on "Dually Andrew's". From 9-12am (details).

Also, don't forget we've got the club races on Thursday's too (tomorrow), register from 6:15pm. This will be the last week for this track. Next week I'll reverse it, except that the descent will be on part of the north shore track.

Note that the there'll be a 3 week break of races over Christmas but we'll be back at it next year from the 10th Jan. Check calendar for details.

grantd's picture

Thursday Afternoon Kinross Races - Video

We had another great race tonight.

Here's the edited footage from a few weeks ago, youtube editor didn't lose it forever after all. Footage courtesy of Rod.

See you all there next week!

http://youtu.be/hliyupIUQ2k

grantd's picture

Ginja Ninja 250 - 2013

Save the date for the Ginja Ninja 250 on February 10th 2013!

Get ready for 250 mins of racing at Kinross Forest.

More details to follow in the race's own website which is coming soon.

Woo!

Best Mountain Bike